Many thanks to those who were able to make it to the Kara Roundtable Forum with Nairobi Governor, Dr. Evans Kidero.
The session was very interactive and we were able to agree on a number of commitments with the County Government. Some key highlights would suffice:
- Pursuant to Section 6 of the Nairobi City County Community & Neighbourhood Associations Engagement Act, we signed a Cooperation Agreement with the County Government to provide a legal and structured framework for implementation of the Act. The agreement highlights specific service delivery areas where Kara and the County Government shall collaborate and also provide for the obligations of each Party. Bona fide members of Kara will benefit greatly from this arrangement as we will be able to effectively and efficiently address their issues in collaboration with the County Government.
- The Governor directed that Resident Associations through Kara be represented in various Committees of the County Government so that their issues can be articulated and taken into consideration when making decisions. Some of the Committees where the Associations will be represented include: The Planning Approval Committee; Environment Committee; Transport Committee; Liquor Licensing Board; among others
- It was agreed that a Liaison Committee having representation from the County Government and Kara will be established to mediate any emerging issues between Resident Associations and the County Government and prevent the issue of going to Court
- The County Government committed to address all the specific issues raised by various Resident Associations within the next three months and provide progress update
- It was agreed that the next Roundtable Forum will be held on Tuesday, 20th June 2017 to receive updates on the steps the County Government has taken to address the issues presented by Resident Associations and also discuss any emerging service delivery issues with a view to agreeing on the necessary solutions. Please diarize for the forum.
- The Governor urged all Resident Associations to join Kara as members so that the County Government can effectively engage the Associations in a coordinated way.
We intend to strengthen our engagement with the County Government to ensure better service delivery and we are counting on your support. We will keep you posted on any new development as we progress. Once again thank you for your unwavering commitment and support.